The Clinic Technician is responsible for assisting the Veterinarian in surgery and with medical examinations. The Technician may also be assigned to perform basic animal care and husbandry, initial physical examinations for incoming animals, assist with morning veterinary rounds, vaccinate and medicate shelter animals, and schedule animals for examinations as needed. This is a full-time position, approximately 40 hours per week, and includes one weekend day. Position open at the Quakertown shelter.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist the BCSPCA Veterinarian(s) with surgeries and examinations
- Prepare animals and instruments for surgery
- Administer anesthesia to animals and monitor anesthetized patients
- Perform intravenous injections, venipuncture to obtain blood samples for testing, intramuscular and subcutaneous injections, and intubations on cats and dogs.
- Collect laboratory samples, such as blood, urine, and stool for testing
- Perform laboratory tests, such as heartworm tests, feline leukemia/FIV tests and fecal tests
- Perform initial physical examination upon intake of animals, vaccinate and medicate as necessary
- Administer medications, vaccines, and treatments as prescribed by the Veterinarian
- Prepare daily vaccination schedules of animals that need booster vaccinations or treatments
- Schedule exams for animals that need to be seen by the veterinarian
- Maintain medical supplies in stock and complete inventory list of items to be ordered
- Maintain all necessary controlled substance drug logs and update patient records as necessary.
- Maintain a clean and sanitary medical facility, including sterilizing surgical and examination tools
- Communicate proactively and positively with the Veterinarian, Shelter Supervisor, Shelter Manager, and other staff
- Performs all job duties in an efficient and positive manner
- Willingly assists public in all aspects of BCSPCA programs. Shares information to enhance the public’s knowledge of animal welfare, as well as their knowledge of the BCSPCA’s mission and policies.
QUALIFICATIONS OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Veterinary technician degree preferred
- College degree preferred
- Minimum 1-year relevant work or veterinary technician experience
- Valid driver’s license
- Demonstrated commitment to excellent customer service
- Ability to develop and conduct training, including material development
- Ability to take direction and work consistently with a positive attitude
- Ability to prioritize and simultaneously handle multiple projects
- Meticulous recordkeeping skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work in a positive manner in a team environment to assure all BCSPCAs goals are met
- Mid-level computer skills and use of standard office equipment
- Physical requirements include ability to talk, hear, and see, as well as sit, stand, walk, regular lift and move up to 60 lbs., and use of hands to handle, feel and for fine motor skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team